Saturday, June 6, 2015

Introducing Your Transcriber

Hello. I suppose I should introduce myself, even though I am just the transcriber here. I am Ellie. I am 26. I live in Kentucky. Two weeks ago, I was walking to the bus stop after work and found a pile of notebooks on the sidewalk. They were in a stack and tied together with twine. There was no one else around (I get off work when the busses start running, so I'm usually the only one there at that point) so I had no way of determining who owned them. I decided to take them with me.

After reading through one of them, I decided to put up a couple of posters near the bus stop for whoever lost them. They seem like they wouldn't be something a person would want to lose. No one's contacted me about them--well, that's not completely true. A couple of days later, I was at the bus stop again and...most of the posters had been torn down. I had put up about four, and three of them had been torn down and shredded. Someone had written on the last one in black marker. It looked like whoever had done it had pressed down pretty hard when writing it, too. Anyway, the writing said "THEYRE YOURS NOWWW." And yes, the extra w's were their contribution, not mine. No idea who did it; no idea if it was the original owner of the notebooks or just some jerk wanting to fuck around.

I've decided that, since I don't really have any way of returning them and I don't want to toss them, I should transcribe them here. To be honest, the notebooks don't seem like they all came from one person. It's more like a collection gathered from several different writers. The handwriting in each one is different, the narratives vary, and the dates are years apart (though there are a lot of anachronisms, so I don't think the dates can be trusted). I will transcribe them in order the best that I can. Maybe some sort of connection will show up that I didn't notice before, or maybe some hypothetical reader out there will spot something I missed. I should warn you that a lot of it is rather unpleasant, so if you're not into that, maybe go to a different blog. Most everything on here after this will be from the notebooks. Anything of mine that I post will have "Transcriber" in the title.

So...enjoy, I guess?

No comments:

Post a Comment