Monday, June 8, 2015

Through the Night Pt. 3

TranscriberEllie: Since I didn't post anything yesterday, I figured I ought to post twice today. Enjoy.

"We just have to last through the night."

It went on for about a week. The days seemed safe enough, at least safe enough for us to sleep. But, at night, we could see them...the bugs, crawling on the windows. We could hear them as they crowded against the walls. A few would get in sometimes, crawling through the space under the doors even though we had blocked those off. We'd kill them when they did. I swear I could hear all the bugs outside shriek in anger or pain or both whenever I killed one. I never asked if she heard it too.

The last night was cold. It was damn near freezing. I was hoping that the cold meant that it would end soon. I was hoping that it would mean the bugs would die or go somewhere warm, or whatever it is that bugs do when the weather turns. She was shivering so I went upstairs to grab her another blanket. The ones downstairs were too thin. She needed something warmer.

I had just gotten upstairs when I heard the crash. I froze. I was too scared to move, too scared to go back and find out what happened. I stood like that for maybe a minute before I was able to remind myself that, if they had gotten in, she would need me. I wasn't sure that she'd be able to make herself run from them. She would need me there to make her run.

I didn't get all the way back down. Just far enough that I could see into the living room. Just far enough that I could see her lying on the floor. Completely still, skin cracked and broken, her eyes gone. And bugs. Bugs all over the room, heading for me. I ran back upstairs and into our bedroom.

I have all the possible openings closed and blocked off with bedsheets and towels from the bathroom. At least our bedroom has a bathroom attached. I won't go thirsty. I'll starve to death in here, but none of them have gotten in yet and it's been four days, so at least they won't be able to get me. I'll die, but they won't be what kills me. Thank Go---

Oh shit. The bathroom. The pipes. I forgot the fucking pipes!

No comments:

Post a Comment